How often have you heard the term compliance training and thought of it as something that only the legal team should worry about? We are here to bust that myth!
As we slowly start to engage in a post-COVID world, company leaders are moving their focus to sustainability, which is where compliance comes in. Corporate compliance training programs are designed to help companies steer clear from unethical practices that might result in financial loss or reputational harm. Such types of compliance certifications equip employees and stakeholders with the skills and knowledge they need to ensure that corporate behavior and culture is maintained.
This article will talk about what compliance training for employees is, why it’s important, and how to ensure that it’s implemented in your organization.
Compliance Training Defined
Compliance training is the process of educating and creating awareness among employees about the rules and regulations, company norms, and policies that one needs to abide by in their day-to-day responsibilities.
Purpose of Compliance Training
The main purpose of training employees about compliance is to make them aware of the laws and regulations applicable to their job function or industry.
Compliance training ensures that the employees are on the right side of the law. As an organization, it enables a well-respected reputation in public, prevents poor conduct, and ensures proper governance. This helps minimize risk and provides a better environment for employees to work.
How Does Corporate Compliance Differ from Regulatory Compliance?
Regulatory compliance means abiding by the law, legal mandates, and legislation laid down by governing bodies.
Corporate compliance, on the other hand, refers to the company’s own compliance structure, which it ensures is followed by every employee in the organization.
How Does Compliance Training Help?
The benefits of conducting compliance training are:
- Understanding employee engagement by creating employee awareness: Employees who understand and are well-informed about the organization’s compliance are the most trustworthy and reliable. In the long run, they become leaders in the organization.
- Helps define organizational policies & goals: All organization needs to have set goals and policies for its success.
- Risk of non-compliance reduces: When compliances are set by the organization and all employees are trained on it, the chances of non-compliance reduce. Employees are aware of how a task or a job is to be done.
- Safer working environment: A good compliance system nurtures a positive culture in establishing organizational values. They must be simple, effective, and well communicated so that employees feel aligned with those organizational values.
Why Is Compliance Training Important?
Compliance training, both online or at the workplace, is important for protecting the company over the long term. They are the best practices for an organization to follow. As compliance update requirements change with time, businesses ensure that they are compliant with regulations before they come into effect.
Good content in compliance training creates awareness among employees and encourages a positive work culture.
Essential Elements of Compliance Training
The four main elements of compliance training are:
- A well-informed and trained leadership team is an essential requirement before implementing compliance training. A good leader who has complete knowledge of all company policies and laws can train their team members in it. This will also reduce risk and create a positive reputation.
- It provides correct and complete information. Compliance training should provide not only the regulations within the organization but also as per law. These should be up to date with time as per changes in the regulations.
- There should be a proper handbook or online content which anyone can easily access when required.
- It is very important to monitor and analyze the training material. There should be a mechanism to measure the performance and adaptation of the employees.
8 Types of Compliance Training
Get Trained in Compliance Today
Many leading security professionals have got certified under EC-Council’s Certified CISO (CCISO) Program. The CCISO program was designed by present CISOs for aspiring CISOs. It provides a training and certification program for top-level information security executives.
The program doesn’t just focus on technical knowledge but also on the implementation of information security management principles. It covers governance and risk management, information security controls, compliance and audit management, security program management and operations, information security core competencies, strategic planning, finance, procurement, and vendor management.
Do You Have What It Takes to Become a CISO?