EC-Council’s Licensed Penetration Tester (Master) is the pinnacle of all pentesting certifications. It is designed to push the candidate to the brink, by immersing them in a hands-on simulated penetration test that mimics scenarios that you would face in real-life.
What does the LPT Master exam entail?
To become an LPT Master, one must
- Demonstrate a mastery of the skills required to conduct a full penetration test of a network.
- Follow a strict code of ethics and must be aware of all compliance requirements.
- Pass through the five stages of ethical hacking – reconnaissance, through scanning, enumeration, gaining access, maintaining access, and exploiting vulnerabilities.
- Generate a professional penetration testing report.
How to prepare for the LPT Master?
Although there is no eligibility criteria, it is recommended that one does the Advance Penetration Testing training before attempting the exam. The training course is built entirely on EC-Council’s Advanced Penetration Testing cyber range (ECCAPT), which has over 180 machines built into it. It comes with 250 GB RAM and a storage capacity of over 4000 GB. It is 100% hands-on, to teach professional-level skills to identify the attack surface of targets within a required time frame and, once this has been accomplished, to gain access to the machines and escalate privileges as required.
The cyber range is designed to provide challenges across every level of the attack spectrum. It contains multiple layers of network segmentation, and once access is gained in one segment, the latest pivoting techniques are required to reach the next segment.
This training format is proven to be effective by thousands of penetration testers around the world.
Tips to keep in mind when attempting the exam
- Schedule your exam well in advance. EC-Council offers you the opportunity to attempt the exam in three different time slots to ensure that you have sufficient time to recuperate, much like a real-life scenario.
- Ensure your system has all the right specifications that EC-Council demands the exam. A delay could lead to the exam having to be rescheduled.
- Be prepared to be proctored. Have all documentation ready before you start the exam and keep in mind that you will be proctored right through the exam.
- Keep an eye on the clock. The exam is divided into three sections, each having three challenges. It is important for you to be able to pass through these challenges to advance to the next level.
- Although the exam can be attempted in three levels, this still means that each level is 6-hours long. Be sure that you are prepared for a lengthy sitting.
Good luck with the exam!