Does the word “investigation” give you goosebumps? Are you inquisitive by nature, always looking to decode a mystery? Then maybe a career as a Cyber Forensics Expert is for you. This role entails knowing how to maneuver and backtrack through the most advanced hacks and breaches to help catch the perpetrator.
If the thought of this excites you, then read on to learn what skills and qualifications you need to enter and progress in this field.
What Is Cyber Forensics?
Cyber forensics is also known as digital forensics. It is a technique of storing and extracting data for legal purposes. This data is saved online, which can later be used as evidence in court to support the criminal claims against the suspect. Cyber forensics is the main process used by investigation teams.
Cyber forensics professionals specialize in analyzing and gathering data related to cyberattacks and other illegal online activities.
What Does a Cyber Forensics Professional Do?
Cyber forensics professionals are required to:
- Get information from the hard drive presented in the technical device. If the files are deleted, they need to be recovered without harming the evidence.
- Provide analyses of data presented in the device and understand where useful data can be found. All this needs to be done without harming or losing the data.
- Make a technical report of his/her findings. This report should be written in simple language that is understandable to everyone. The file will include details about what was the crime, who is the criminal, and how was he/she was able to commit the crime in spite of all the security.
These tasks form a major part of a cyber forensics expert’s role.
What You Need to Pursue a Career in Cyber Forensics
In cybercrimes, technical devices are the place of investigation. Therefore, a cyber forensics professional should have solid knowledge of technology such as computers, mobile phones, tablets, etc. He/she must further possess deep knowledge of criminal laws, crime investigation, etc., as well as have a solid grasp of cyber forensic tools. Cyber investigators should also be focused enough to pay attention to every little detail presented before them.
A computer forensics career can be very demanding. This is why it is important for anyone pursuing a computer forensics career to choose the right platform to learn about cyber forensics.
Skill Requirements for a Computer Forensics Expert
To become a cyber forensics expert, you must possess the following skills:
- Communication Skills: Cyber forensic investigators should be able to explain their findings to others and the judge. The better the communication skills they have, the better others will understand what they are saying. Not everyone knows forensic laws, so their investigation should be understandable to common people as well.
- Analytical Skills: Forensic investigators should be able to analyze every detail presented in the device. Their good analyzing skills will connect dots, which will make their investigation easier. Cyber forensic tools are useful during such analyses.
- Acceptance of Challenges: Criminals are becoming more capable by the day, and investigators need to match their pace. Forensic investigators will face challenges at every step while working. They need to accept every challenge and should be determined to find the criminal no matter what.
- Basic Knowledge of Cybersecurity: Cybersecurity and computer forensics are closely related to each other. To get positive results while working, it is important to have some basic knowledge of cybersecurity.
- Attention to Every Detail: Details are everything. A cyber forensic investigation expert should be focused enough to pay attention to every little detail.
These skills will make you a cyber forensic investigation expert. It will also provide you a better understanding of cyber forensics.
Start Your Career Journey with a Digital Forensics Certification
A computer forensics program allows experts to attain the skills and knowledge needed to bring justice to criminals and save innocent people from potential attacks.
EC-Council’s Computer Hacking Forensics Investigator (CHFI) certification will empower you to acquire the knowledge and skills you need to pursue a career in computer forensics. Visit the page today to learn more: https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/computer-hacking-forensic-investigator-chfi/